Photos: 12-year-old boy suffers from genetic skin condition that has left his face disfigured

12-year-old Ethan D'Amata from Texas has been suffering from a skin disorder, neurofibromatosis type one-or NF-1-since birth. D'Amato has learned to live with his condition because a life-changing surgery is risky and could potentially damage his nerves. 

The little boy was offered surgery to remove his tumours but was told it could damage his nerves-meaning he could lose the ability to laugh or smile. He decided a life with tumours is better than a life without smiling. "I just can't take the risk of not being able to laugh or smile"
 
Despite seemingly taking the condition in his stride Ethan can get hurt by the stares.
     "I get a lot of people staring at me and just looking at my face. That can get really annoying. I wish they wouldn't do it. They frown at me and once a child pointed at me and called me a thing"
     "I 'm not a thing. I'm a human being"
 
 
Source: Living with Neurofibromatosis/Facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the comment writers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Bright Clement. info call or whatsapp +2348166575765